Reading... | 31 Days of Growing Up

My love for books began, I think, before I can even remember.

I don't know of a time (and old photos will corroborate) when reading wasn't part of our daily schedule. Both my parents are great readers, and they instilled in us by example and encouragement the importance of reading and books. They read aloud thousands of stories over the years. There are so many excellent children's picture books, which still bring back memories when I go back through my mom's shelves and boxes. When we were a little older, every night we would all sit in the living room while dad read the next chapter, or two, from our current book... We were engrossed in talented authors' wonderful characters and adventures in stories like The Chronicles of Narnia, Understood Betsy, The Secret Garden, Charlotte's Web, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Stuart Little, Julie of the Wolves, Little House on the Prairie. And we were also encouraged to read great books ourselves, including "just for fun" books like Nancy Drew mysteries and The Boxcar Children. We read a lot for school, too.

But regardless the reason, it's hard to deny the significance of every book and story we read, and reread, over the years.

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
      ~ Emilie Buchwald

2 comments :

  1. Now that the house is quiet (sigh), I have begun to read aloud to dad, a habit we started on our honeymoon when we read Pride and Prejudice (Dad couldn't believe I had never read that great book!) We just finished Mere Christianity, and this post makes me wonder what fiction book we might read next....ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any ideas off the top of my head. Lately I've been enjoying the books YOU recommend! :)

    ReplyDelete