And 'Rithmetic | 31 Days of Growing Up

I know a lot of people who didn't really like school. But I did, at least for the most part.

I was walking through the store (a few months ago now), past the back to school sale shelves,  and I mentioned to someone how I used to love going shopping for school supplies. The spiral-bound notebooks, still unbent and wrinkle-free with some of the pages tight together before being flipped through and folded and stuffed in backpacks. The clean pink erasers, the note cards, the perfectly pointed crayons. And the brand new yellow pencils, beckoning to be sharpened and let loose on blank paper.

Growing up as a homeschooler, I never knew I was learning as much or as well as I did. Honestly, I thought I didn't know a lot, couldn't know a lot, since we didn't spend nearly as much time "in school" as the publicschoolers. I was afraid I was not as smart. But I remember the first time we all took a standardized test, and I wasn't afraid anymore. It was then that I first realized the value of our home education.

The foundation of our education was the Bible and a Christian worldview; the emphasis was challenging, classical academics; and the expectation was knowledge, understanding, and excellence. These all shaped and fostered my learning, and the student, and person, I would become.

“In those days a boy on the classical side officially did almost nothing but classics. I think this was wise; the greatest service we can to education today is to teach few subjects. No one has time to do more than a very few things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life.”
      ~ C.S. Lewis

No comments :

Post a Comment