Faithfulness in the Everyday Non-Crisis

More and more I see the world broken, and shattering before my eyes.

And sometimes a little voice in my head whispers, how long will your life go on unaffected?

When will the crisis be in your home, your life, your loved ones?

And will my faith stand, or shatter?

Because whether positive or negative, it's hard to escape the what ifs.

So often in this point in our life right now, it feels as if I'm cruising along without much thought, or concern. All is well.

Life is good. God is good.

Yet it can't always be peachy keen, forever, right? And that's when I wonder when my faith will be tested, as so many others close to me, and the world over, by some trial or something unexpected.

It's an odd paradox of anticipation and apprehension: anticipation because we can expect "in this world you will have trouble..." (John 16:33) and because, honestly, there are moments I almost wish it, as if I need to prove myself, and other moments I simply feel guilty for how easy life right now is; but nonetheless, apprehension because nobody wants life to get hard.

On the other hand, we're not supposed to "worry about tomorrow" and there's no benefit in wondering how we'll respond to whatever happens. Ultimately, Christ has "overcome the world"!

And perhaps there's a danger in thinking too much, in sometimes becoming enamored with the faith of people in the midst of trials (though not to discredit their faith in any way!) so much so that we downplay the faith of people in the midst of today, the everyday, all the ordinary routines of ordinary life and day-to-day living, as much as it may seem mundane, monotonous, auto-pilot at times.

In Church this Sunday, one of the supporting verses was Luke 16:10, referring to those who can be trusted with little can be trusted with much. The word translated trusted, as we're probably most familiar with this verse, is Gk. "faithful". Knowing this, I appreciate the NKJV translation:

"He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much..."
      ~ Luke 16:10

I usually infer this verse is about money or possessions, based on the context, but I wonder if there's more to this verse than I've previously understood. Could there be an even broader, underlying meaning to "what is least" and, likewise, "much" in terms of life itself?

I always think of a "trial" as, at least in part, a test of faith. Or is everyday life the true test, actually? Probably both/and, but still. ;)

Because what other training ground is there than life, which is, more days than not, plain ordinary?

Again, perhaps, our faith is only as strong as our faithfulness in the everyday non-crisis.

And that means we're to be faithful in every aspect of life, everything, no matter how small, insignificant, or un-concerning it seems.

It also means our faithfulness is meaningful, and measured, not only in the hard times, but also in the easy ordinary.

No comments :

Post a Comment