Willing {or, Submission Is Harder Than I Thought}

start ~

I thought I had it all figured out.

I knew what the Bible says about submission and didn't feel threatened or put off by the idea of submitting to my future husband; quite the opposite, I thought it an honor to one day follow a Godly man who would be head of our family.

The truth is, understanding the Biblical concept of submission and not being a feminist don't necessarily mean being a submissive wife comes naturally, or always willingly. 

I've been married for quite a few months now :) and I've been realizing more and more the ways, usually "small" things here and there, that I am not submissive. {And this is part of the Fall, that there will tension between husband and wife for authority, as Gen. 3:16b describes.}

Because submission is so much more than simply allowing one's husband to make big decisions and be in charge of paying the bills. The little things, like not being glued to the computer when he walks in the door after work or not making up excuses to not cuddle on the couch and just be together or not taking out on him my frustration over something totally unrelated, all the things that really make up normal, ordinary life, these are are a choice in submission, too, and in submitting not just "because he's my husband" but more importantly because I ought to be putting him before myself {Love is...not self-seeking} and honoring and serving him.

And because my submission to my husband should mirror Christ's willing submission to the Father.

stop


[Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday]

5 comments :

  1. Hey, I stopped by from FWM. I really enjoyed your thoughts that to be willing is tied with submitting. I'm not yet married and will someday have to work out my own role with my future spouse, but I think it's a daily struggle for most of us to submit our lives to Christ and to put others ahead of ourselves. I like that you said it don't always come naturally or willingly and that the little things are important. So true! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by, Kirsten! You're so right, no matter who we are or what stage of life we're in, there's always submission to work on in our lives, whether to Christ ultimately or to our husbands, leaders, etc.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new marriage! My husband and I have been married 11 years now and I'm STILL learning this submission thing!
    One thing I heard once about this word that helped me - if you break the word up into two parts: sub + mission then it means "under" the "mission" but not in a "hierarchical" sort of way but more in a "holding up the mission" sort of way. So the wife "holds the husband" up and supports him in his mission and so the husband and wife are working together for the mission of their family.
    Anyway, blessings to you and your husband and you "submission".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Erika Marie, and for the encouragement! I appreciate the wisdom in that thought, of being a co-worker in the mission. Learning how to better hold up my husband right along with you!

      Delete
  3. p.s. I stopped by here via FMF!

    ReplyDelete