Encouragement

start ~

Sometimes I feel so unskilled at coming up with words.

There are people who have a gift for knowing just what to say, knowing how to phrase thoughts and advice, knowing what needs to be heard. And when I'm in a situation where it's "my turn", I'm dumb, as in speechless. I stutter and mumble and inevitably mention I'm praying or I will be, because it's the only meaningful thing I can come up with.

So many times I've wanted so badly to offer wisdom, truth, encouragement. I just really don't know what to say.

And what I've been learning—sometimes it's ok to be silent.

There is a time and a place for words, but there is also a time and a place for simply being there, really listening, hearing someone out.

Sometimes the greatest encouragement is not more analysis and council and what you've heard before, but grace and love and hearing only the unspoken words of a hug.

stop


[Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday]

3 comments :

  1. Just love this Kelly. It is so true that we try to fix things rather than just be an encouragement. Great to meet you at FMFparty. Are you on Twitter?
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com Author of Tadeo Turtle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. (Twitter, yes, but no: I don't use it really and keep it private. ;) )

      Delete
  2. That's a lesson we could all learn.

    ReplyDelete