Tree {or, The Old Rugged Cross}

start ~

Tree. Cross. Christ. Love. Redemption.

I think of that old rugged cross, and I look up the word "rugged". There are many definitions, but overall there is a sense of harshness: "having an uneven or jagged surface", "rough, severe", "involving hardship", "difficult". Death on a cross was harsh, horrific, humiliating, cursed.

And it was my tree.

Yet, Jesus took my place, took the place of all people, the world, because in reality none of us could have saved himself; a perfect Lamb was necessary, and Christ came to earth, He came to pay the price for us, He became God with us to die for us. His birth was for His death.

And His death, and resurrection, was for our life.

Can we wrap our minds around this, again, again, again, and remind ourselves so we don't forget it in the whirlwind of days? As the Christmas season draws near, it is important most of all to draw near to Christ, Who it's all about, and remember what His birth is all about.

On a hill far away stands a tall mighty tree
Where a boy and a girl used to take turns pushing the tire swing
I remember the pocketknife in hand
And her name in my heart
And thinkin' there ain't no way for a boy to contain
The love that he feels inside

So I carved her name into my tree
Then I carved a heart around her name
Then I carved an arrow through the heart
Just to say "I love you"

Now on a hill far away stood an old rugged cross
The emblem of suffering and shame
I remember the nails through my hands
And your name in my heart
And how in their wordless way the nails explain
The love that I feel inside

As they carved your name into my tree
Where I wrapped my heart around your name
Then I took your arrow through my heart
Just to say, "I love you"
Just to say, "I love you"

Now I can never forget how much you mean to me
'Cause I will always remember whenever I see

Where I carved your name into my tree
Where I wrapped my heart around your name
Then I took your arrow through my heart
Just to say, "I love you"
Just to say, "I love you"
I really love you
      ~ Chris Rice, "My Tree"

stop



[Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday]

2 comments :

  1. this.is.beautiful! when I read the word today my mind went in a completely opposite direction and reading this I wish it had gone here. so glad to read this on this crisp morning and thankful for a savior that hung on a tree for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by. Thank you for your kind words. ...And I think that is the beauty of "comment on someone else's post" - the different perspectives shared, and all valuable!

      Delete