When I Cannot Stand

We went to a Chris Tomlin concert {Burning Lights Tour} this past week.

I want to say it was a worshipful, "One-minded" evening. But while it was a great concert, and, yes, worshipful, I had the hardest time focusing and staying focused. There was a man sitting in the row behind us with a "bellowing" voice, as someone said, and without a very good ear as far as singing on key. There were two high school-age gals sitting right next to me who were . . . into the music. And then there were Chris Tomlin's stylin' pants and I'll leave it at that.

It seemed there were things on all sides trying to keep me from enjoying the music and worshiping God through the words we sang.

Isn't that just like the Enemy, to crowd our minds with static and feedback and noise? to bombard us with other voices? to put people in view who we compare ourselves to, or who we criticize?

When we're trying to stay Christ-focused in life, we have warfare from all sides. I know this, I feel it. We must guard against the subtle attacks, the pricks of discontentment, the hints of jealousy, the bursts of anger. They're constant and will work their ways into the mind and heart if we let our guard down. And like the distractions at the concert, I can't just tune out the noise, or the lies. It takes intentionality and conscious effort to engage in the battle, to think on Truth and focus on God. And it's a lot more challenging to live than write.

Thankfully, our God fights for us. He is our defense. We in our weak humanity cannot overcome, but Christ is the Overcomer. And we need Him desperately.

Lord I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the one that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more
Where grace is found is where You are
And where You are Lord I am free
Holiness is Christ in me
Yes where You are Lord I am free
Holiness is Christ in me


Lord, I need You, oh I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

So teach my song to rise to You
When temptation comes my way
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus You're my hope and stay
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus You're my hope and stay
      ~ Chris Tomlin/Passion, "Lord I Need You"

No comments :

Post a Comment