This Is the Day the Lord Has Made

I was sitting in the quiet this morning, thinking how comfortable, in more ways than one, I am and things in general are, and knowing how quickly, suddenly it could all change.

I was sitting in the quiet, remembering all the weird details that I still remember about my mom's accident . . .  I woke up that night, even though I was a deep sleeper, maybe from the sound of cars in the driveway and doors opening and shutting when my dad left for the hospital after my grandma got there to be with us six little kids, and I came halfway down the stairs and peeked over the railing and asked "is Mom okay?" because somehow I knew something was wrong for Grandma to be there, and she said I should go to bed. I remember what the phone looked like, and hearing Dad on speaker when he called the next morning to tell us, and asking if she was paralyzed. I remember seeing my dad cry for the first time other than from reading a good book, as we all sat on the couch when he came home to see us later that day. I remember going to see Mom for the first time and getting sick and almost fainting, and when she got to leave the hospital and stayed with my grandma and how short she cut her hair. I remember my Christmas ballet recital and my dance instructor having to put my hair in a bun because Mom couldn't and it not looking as nice, and my mom coming and watching even though it had only been a few weeks. I remember all the meals every night and when a friend brought a roast not lasagna. I remember where my bed was in the girls' room upstairs when I prayed with my dad to become a Christian. I remember when my mom came home from an appointment without the halo.

I remember a lot of miracles, even if I don't remember the specifics, but even so, there were a lot of days I didn't like during those weeks, a lot of "bad" days. We were shaken out of comfortable by those days.

How quickly, suddenly things can all change.

I was sitting in the quiet this morning, thanking God for this new day, yet wondering if something was to change, would I call this day good? What if I got the call from the ER? What if our house burned down, or someone got laid off, or someone in our family got hurt or passed away?

I believe God is innocent of sin and does not cause bad things to happen to us. But the effects of sin have broken this world, and sometimes things "change" and then there are days you don't like. Sometimes there are days that don't feel good, they hurt.

Could I wake up, look past the circumstances, and say thank You?

Because I know even now there are days, in this "kind" and blessed life God's given us right now, when I don't rejoice in this day the Lord has made, when I'm not glad, when I'm so selfish and human and distracted and wrong-minded that I don't think about -today- being a blessing from God, and sometimes my thankfulness hinges on so many things.

Sometimes we're more thankful for what He's given than we are thankful to Him for giving so abundantly. Sometimes we get so comfortable with all the blessings we're accustomed to in this country, and we get used to letting circumstances be our measure of God's goodness. And then things change, and we wonder like everyone else if God is a good God.

We know the truth, though:

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever."
      ~ Psalm 136:1 {emphasis mine}

Things may change quickly, suddenly, but God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow and He is good, so He is always good. And if He wakes you up this morning and fills your lungs with another breath of air, another breath, another breath, it is because this is the day He has made and you are the child He has given another day to and you can be glad in it and give thanks, because even though the circumstances may be bad or seem bad to us, God is good, all the time.

"This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it."
      ~ Psalm 118:24

No comments :

Post a Comment