Beautiful

start ~

It is off-white paper, three creases worn thin from being opened and folded again and fit back in the envelope.

The handwriting is a scrawl, sometimes hard to make out, sometimes words misspelled.

It is a strange feeling making out these words and recognizing strength and manhood and beginning to understand this brother as if I never really knew him before.

But it is beautiful, this note written home from a Marine recruit at boot camp in California.

And between the lines, I find the caring heart and the thoughtfulness that I did understand, that were always there.

stop

[Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday]

3 comments :

  1. Hi! I'm your neighbor over at Five Minute Friday. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. In just five minutes- you gave me an experience with your words. well done.

    Emily
    www.weakandloved.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, this is beautiful! I remember when I began to realise that my own brother had grown out of the pain-in-the-neck teenager into a strong, purposeful, kind, (but still pain-in-the-neck) adult that I really wanted to get to know better. Unfortunately, I wasn't given that long to get to know that Steve as his life was stripped away by cancer when he was 34. Blessings to you and I pray you and your brother will have many more years of adult friendship! :) ~sharon (5MF)

    ReplyDelete