Race

start ~
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
      ~ Hebrews 12:1

I am a runner.

The sounds of Adidas soles pounding pavement in rhythm with quick breathing are familiarly comforting and energizing. Early morning jogs down back country dirt roads under canopies of tree branches lit by sunrise, or at dusk with the light dwindling and pink sky visible on the horizon, make my heart skip. Never mind the sweat.

I have only run in a few races.

But I notice two things: first, how the finish line is at the forefront of my mind during the whole race, and second, how I am keenly aware of every moment until I finish.

I realize I want my own life to be characterized by a heavenly mindset, setting my mind on things above and what is to come {heaven}, and also by being thankful for each day {earth}, living in the moment and not missing the present because I'm wrapped up in something past or future. It is a dichotomy I want to embrace.

stop

3 comments :

  1. What a great post! As a runner you have captured the topic like none other. I am envious of your discipline. Just once I would like to be able to say, "I'm a runner".
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, this is exactly how we should live.
    Thank you for sharing your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete