Mercy

I am reading through the Old Testament and just finished Judges.

It is a frustrating book, because it is so human: the Israelites "did evil in the sight of the Lord" and rejected Him over and over and over. I can't help but think, why didn't they learn?

Yet, it is an encouraging book, too, because it is so God: He rescued His people over and over and over. There is relief knowing that, in a sense, God chose not to learn, not to recognize the pattern of humanness, not to become impatient and finally let them go for good.

I imagine someone reading the manuscript of my life. My mind wanders so quickly, and so does my heart; I know there would be the thought, why didn't she learn?

And I'm thankful God rescues today as He did thousands of years ago, that He is patient with His children . . . though our minds have such short attention spans that so easily lose focus of Him, though we have such a difficult time learning to sit still and not grow restless from the cares of this world, though we don't always show much resemblance to Him even if we so badly want to grow up to be like our Dad.

God is full of mercy, no matter how easily we take that for granted.
For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you . . .
      ~ Deuteronomy 4:31

No comments :

Post a Comment