Effect

Last night was the culmination of memorizing 1 John. It's quite an accomplishment (the whole book!) over the last few months (okay, actually six). But timing aside and more than anything, it's been incredible soaking in the Word more than I ever have before, being so familiar with all 105 verses, and seeing how God's been using it, bringing it to mind, convicting.

We're memorizing Philippians now which I'm looking forward to, seeing as though it's one of my favorite books and seeing as though it's far less circular (and, thus, less confusing) than 1 John. :) We read through it last night, per the usual, and I really was struck by two pretty familiar verses:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
      ~ Philippians 4:6,7
I know God commands us to not be anxious, to pray, to have His peace. Yet, I hadn't ever seen the connection before, or at least not so bluntly . . . present your requests to God [and] the peace of God will guard your hearts and your minds. It is cause and effect. Peace results from prayer.

I'm thankful for this. I needed to remember that God commands me to not be anxious and instead to hand everything over to Him, and that His peace will then unexplainably protect and comfort. I needed to see that the peace of God isn't elusive, but that it's a state of mind that results from a state of heart, a surrendering of all things to the One who's in control.

1 comment :

  1. Mind blowing. And just what I needed. You are AMAZING, Kel! You explain God's word in such a beautiful way. Thank you for that. <3

    ReplyDelete