Fast

I am taking a break from Facebook.

In other words, I have decided to do a (partial) "tech fast" for two weeks, beginning yesterday. (Although, who knows? I may end up extending the timeframe.)

It is well-needed, to put it simply. Especially since the end of the semester, I have been struggling with priorities, and FB certainly is at the top of the list of distractions. Granted, it is nice to be able to keep in touch with people I don't see often (for instance my cousin, who is also one of my best friends), but that tends to be far outweighed by the cons of time-consuming, addiction-esque preoccupation with mindlessly scrolling through cluttered news feeds and primarily irrelevant status updates. When I put it that way, it does seem somewhat of a nonissue to be saying goodbye for awhile, if not indefinitely.

It is freeing to not "need" to check the most recent news on Facebook. At the same time there is a feeling of disconnect. Sure, if people need to contact me, there are those tried-and-true methods of phone and email communication, but that isn't too consoling at this point, so it would seem, possibly because I'm not expecting either form of communication from anyone who I normally keep in touch with on FB. Perhaps that is a touch of cynicism . . . or maybe just realism.

Nevertheless, I am fasting.

And if you do happen to be one of my Facebook friends, please feel free to call or email anytime. :)

1 comment :

  1. I'm glad that you are still blogging anyway! <3 I am amazed how much more time I spend with my family and doing profitable things since we do not have internet at home anymore. I also have much more time to spend with God...the way it should have been all along. I'm encouraged to see this blog! Thank you, Kelly, you are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete