Stand

I discovered this poem in high school, and I love it.
"Stand Still and See"
by Elizabeth Alden Scott

I'm standing, Lord:
There is a mist that blinds my sight.
Steep, jagged rocks, front, left, and right,
Lower, dim, gigantic in the night.
Where is the way?

I'm standing, Lord:
The black rock hems me in behind,
Above my head a moaning wind
Chills and oppresses heart and mind.
I am afraid!

I'm standing, Lord:
The rock is hard beneath my feet;
I nearly slipped, Lord, on the sleet.
So weary, Lord! and where a seat?
Still must I stand?

He answered me, and on His face
A look ineffable of grace,
Of perfect, understanding love,
Which all my murmuring did remove.

I'm standing, Lord:
Since Thou hast spoken, Lord, I see
Thou has beset--these rocks are Thee!
And since Thy love encloses me,
I stand and sing.
Is that not encouraging to remember? . . .that no matter what storms we face, our foundation in Christ will never be shaken: we stand upon the Solid Rock!
"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
My God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
~ Psalm 18:2

No comments :

Post a Comment