Direction

There is only one area in which I might have, at one time, considered myself "directionally challenged". And that is in life itself . . . more specifically, my future career.
"What do you want to do after college?"
It was the question that made me wish I was still that ten-year-old girl with her heart set on being a barn manager when she grew up.

The fact was, it was a question I had yet to answer for myself.

I struggled with that for a long time. I have always been a schedule-oriented, rather than spontaneous, person. I like having a plan. And I like knowing the answers. In high school, I was the student others asked for advice or help with difficult problems. Needless to say, when I realized I couldn't answer the "big" question, it became quite a discouragement. It was as if the future that was looming ahead of me was nothing more than a black abyss: I had absolutely no ideas whatsoever about what I wanted to do with my life.

I hated when people asked about it. I hated that I didn't have an answer.

I still don't.

But I no longer hate not having a concrete answer, and (for the most part) I no longer feel discouraged knowing that I don't. This change of mind certainly hasn't been instantaneous, nor really noticeably conscious. The more I come to fully realize how my mindset really has changed, the more I also realize that it is one of those God things - God changing my heart, and my mind. That's really the only way to explain how I now wake up in the morning without feeling that all too familiar dread of not having an answer to one simple, albeit significant question.

God has been slowly, quietly changing my heart, showing me that His will for my life is much, much greater than the eventual job I have to pay the bills. Regardless of my occupation, my preoccupation should be my life's purpose: to glorify Christ. In living according to God's will, I find joy and peace.
You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
~ Psalm 16:11
One of our pastors at Calvary has reminded us that direction is paramount in reaching one's destination. As a follower of Christ, my destination is so much bigger than a secure retirement; I am headed for eternal life in Heaven! And my direction in life is so much bigger than a certain career; I am supposed to bring glory to God, as I become more like Christ and point people to Him.

Somehow the big questions don't seem quite so daunting.

So my new bumper-sticker-esque slogan is:
Directionally challenged? Look up.

No comments :

Post a Comment