Beauty

In Jr. High girls' discussion at youth group, we have been talking lately about our identity as believers, our fulfillment in Christ, and, this week, about being beautiful. We were considering Norman Rockwell's painting, "Girl at Mirror," which depicts a young girl saddened because she doesn't look like a movie star's picture. I know this picture is not unfamiliar to any girl (or, I'm sure, any adult woman) - each of us struggle with comparing his/herself to the world's standards. But as believers, each of us is beautiful, because we are thoughtfully and deliberately created by God as unique individuals, and each of us is royalty - princes and princesses, because we are children of the King!

In Psalm 139, David writes: "O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD." How can we not feel special knowing that the God of the Universe knows us individually and intimately and is actively searching us and getting to know us?! We cannot hide from God . . . He knows us completely; yet, neither can we hide from His love . . . He loves us unconditionally!

After youth group, I was still feeling overwhelmed by the truths of God's word. I know it was not chance that, driving home, the first full song I heard on WaYfm was "Mirror". Even now, thinking about this a few days later, it blows my mind how relevant and incredible my God is!

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall, have I got it?
'Cause Mirror you've always told me who I am.
I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect.
So, sorry, you won't define me.
Sorry, you don't own me.

Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you? Who are you?
I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do.
I won't try. I won't try.

Mirror, I am seeing a new reflection.
I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me.
And to Him, I have beauty beyond compare.
I know He defines me.

Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you? Who are you?
I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do.
I won't try. I won't try.
      ~ Barlow Girl, "Mirror"

No comments :

Post a Comment